Live · Global · Independent
Live Feeds
PinkVilla
Forbes
NDTV
Hindustan Times
Hot Days Ahead: Mercury Soars To 40.2℃ In Delhi, Heatwave Turns Severe In Rajasthan & Gujarat
onmynews.com

Hot Days Ahead: Mercury Soars To 40.2℃ In Delhi, Heatwave Turns Severe In Rajasthan & Gujarat

The mercury rose nearly 5℃ to 8℃ above normal not just in Punjab-Haryana-Delhi, Rajasthan, Gujarat, but also most parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, as well as Ladakh

Read full article
Tahawwur Rana’s Last Plea Against Extradition To India Rejected By US Court
onmynews.com

Tahawwur Rana’s Last Plea Against Extradition To India Rejected By US Court

The US Supreme Court has denied 26/11 Mumbai terror attack accused Tahawwur Rana’s last application seeking a stay on his extradition to India, moving him closer to being handed over to Indian authorities to face justice.

The three-day attacks on hotels, a train station and a Jewish center in Mumbai in which 166 people were killed began on November 26, 2008. India says Pakistan-based Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba orchestrated the attacks. Pakistan’s government denies being involved.

Tahawwur Rana, a Canadian citizen of Pakistani origin who was based in Chicago, was convicted in 2011 and later sentenced to 13 years in prison. He is currently lodged in the Metropolitan Detention Center in Los Angeles.

The 64-year-old is known to be associated with Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley, one of the main conspirators of the 26/11 attacks. Headley conducted a recce of Mumbai before the attacks by posing as an employee of Rana’s immigration consultancy.

He was convicted in the US of one count of conspiracy to provide material support to the terrorist plot in Denmark and one count of providing material support to Pakistan-based terrorist organisation Lashker-e-Taiba which was responsible for the attacks in Mumbai.

Rana had submitted an “Emergency Application For Stay Pending Litigation of Petition For Writ of Habeas Corpus” on February 27, with Elena Kagan, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the US and Circuit Justice for the Ninth Circuit.

Earlier last month, the judge had denied the application.

Rana had then renewed his “Emergency Application for Stay Pending Litigation of Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus previously addressed to Justice Kagan,” and requested that the renewed application be directed to Chief Justice Roberts.

Today, a notice on the Supreme Court website said, “Application denied by the Court.” 

During a joint press conference with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the White House in February this year, President Donald Trump announced that his administration has approved the extradition of “very evil” Rana, wanted by Indian law enforcement agencies for his role in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, “to face justice in India”.

“I am pleased to announce that my administration has approved the extradition of one of the plotters and one of the very evil people of the world, having to do with the horrific 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack to face justice in India. So he is going to be going back to India to face justice,” Trump had said.
 

Read full article
Trump Announces “Additional 50% Tariff” On China As Trade War Escalates
onmynews.com

Trump Announces “Additional 50% Tariff” On China As Trade War Escalates

Donald Trump has announced an additional 50 per cent tariff on China less than 48 hours after Beijing announced a tit-for-tat 34 per cent tariff on the United States, which Trump had declared two days earlier as part of his reciprocal tariff order. This now takes US’ tariff on all Chinese goods to an all-time high of 84 per cent as the US-China trade war escalates.

This is over and above a 10 per cent global tariff, which the White House has said, applies to all nations worldwide, taking China’s tally of Trump’s tariffs to a staggering 94 per cent. Though President Trump gave China’s Xi Jinping a 24-hour window of opportunity to roll-back or “withdraw” the additional tariff he has imposed against the US, failing which, Chinese goods will face this revised 94 per cent tariff in total.

President Trump made the announcement at around 11:30 am (US time – 9 pm India time). Citing his earlier “warning” to “tariff abuser” China, he shared a post on his social media platform Truth Social, in which he wrote, “Yesterday, China issued retaliatory tariffs of 34 per cent, on top of their already record setting tariffs, non-monetary tariffs, illegal subsidization of companies, and massive long term currency manipulation, despite my warning that any country that retaliates against the US by issuing additional tariffs, above and beyond their already existing long term tariff abuse of our nation, will be immediately met with new and substantially higher tariffs, over and above those initially set.”

He went on to warn that “If China does not withdraw its 34 per cent increase above their already long term trading abuses by tomorrow, April 8th, 2025, the United States will impose additional tariffs on China of 50 per cent, effective April 9th.”

The furious US president also threatened the end all talks with China regarding Beijing’s request for dialogue amid a globally spiralling tariff war. He also said that nations that have not retaliated the US import duty, will be given a chance to negotiate. “Additionally, all talks with China concerning their requested meetings with us will be terminated! Negotiations with other countries, which have also requested meetings, will begin taking place immediately. Thank you for your attention to this matter,” he wrote.

Global stock markets and oil prices have been in a free fall for the past 72 hours over President Trump order to impose reciprocal tariffs on nations that tariff America. “These are, as the name suggests, just reciprocal – which means we do to them, what they do to us”, President Trump had said during his Wednesday announcement.

China, who President Trump has repeatedly singled out for its gross “tariff abuse” against the United States “for decades”, swiftly hit back with Beijing upping existing US tariffs by an additional 34 per cent – the same as what Trump levied on them. Before Trump’s announcement, Beijing had warned that reciprocal tariffs will lead to a “painful trade war” which will “not benefit anyone”.
 

Read full article
Link copied!