Live · Global · Independent
Live Feeds
PinkVilla
Forbes
NDTV
Hindustan Times
Star Wars Series The Acolyte Has Been Canceled Ahead Of Season 2
onmynews.com

Star Wars Series The Acolyte Has Been Canceled Ahead Of Season 2

The Acolyte, hailed by Star Wars, has been canceled at Disney+ after a hit first season. The show premiered on the streamer on June 4 and was well-received by the audience. However, the sci-fi series received an average rating from the critics. According to reports from Deadline, the creator of the series, Lesley Headland, had a word with the producers on the future of The Acolyte and called it a wrap on Disney+.

As per various media outlets, the show could not maintain its consistency of staying on top. The first week after the release of season 1, The Acolyte managed to gain nearly 4.7 million views and grab the first position in the ratings. After five days, the total view count reached 11.1 million, with the series trending in the top 10. 

Despite picking up the pace in its initial week, the show saw a major drop in its viewership as well as the ratings. Meanwhile, the story of The Acolyte was set 100 years before Star Wars took place.

Amandla Stenberg took up the lead role in the show, portraying the characters of twins, Osha and Mae. As per the storyline, the twins got separated in their childhood, and both had different upbringings. While Osha trains under a Jedi master to become a Padawan, Mae is a supporter of the dark side. 

 

ALSO READ: The Acolyte Season Finale Unveils Major Star Wars Villain With Darth Plagueis; Deets Here

As per the synopsis of the show, “A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes but discovers the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.” 

Apart from Stenberg, the series also stars Lee Jung-jae, Charlie Barnett, Dafne Keen, Rebecca Henderson, Jodie Turner-Smith, Carrie-Anne Moss, Manny Jacinto, Dean-Charles Chapman and Joonas Suotamo.

In her interviews with the media portal, Headland revealed that she had a couple of ideas to be pitched for the second season of the series. 

Meanwhile, the banner, Lucasfilms, under which the show had been running, released their first successful project on Disney+, titled The Mandalorian. Continuing from the web series, The Mandalorian & Grogu will soon be a feature film. The second season of Ahsoka, the show that ran before The Acolyte, has been renewed by the company. 

The Acolyte is not the first hit show to be cancelled after releasing a bunch of episodes. Last week, Prime Video’s historical drama, My Lady Jane, was cancelled at the streamer ahead of season 2. Looking at the pattern, the experts have claimed that the streaming models need a change. 

The first season of The Acolyte is available to stream on Disney+.

ALSO READ: Is The Acolyte Getting A Second Season? Star Wars May Have Dropped Hint By Saying THIS

Read full article
Parents Made To Wait 11 Hours In Police Station Before FIR In Thane Horror
onmynews.com

Parents Made To Wait 11 Hours In Police Station Before FIR In Thane Horror

The parents of a nursery student who was sexually assaulted in a Thane school have said they got to know about the horrific crime after the parents of another nursery student, who was also sexually assaulted, told them they would file a police case.

The parents then took their child for a medical test, which confirmed sexual assault, they said in the first information report (FIR) filed with the police in Maharashtra’s Thane district’s Badlapur city.

What’s more shocking, the parents said, was the police’s long delay in filing the FIR – while the sexual assault happened on August 13, the police filed the case only on August 16.

The parents were allegedly also made to wait for 11 hours before they were allowed to file the FIR, according to the complaint filed by them.

“Atrocities are committed on a three-and-half years old girl, a four-year-old girl, and at the police station, they (parents) are made to wait for 11 hours when they seek to file a complaint… Is there any sensitivity left? I spoke to the police commissioner and told him that the woman police officer responsible for this delay must be suspended immediately,” Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra assembly Vijay Wadettiwar alleged.

The two four-year-old girls told their parents that a “dada” – referring to an unknown man – in the school sexually assaulted them.

A huge protest broke out in Thane over the sexual assault of the two four-year-old girls. Thousands of protesters had flocked to the local train station in Badlapur in the morning and blocked the movement of trains.

Six hours on, the crowds grew, leading to concerns about train movement and law and order. The government’s efforts to defuse the tension was answered by chants of ‘hang, hang” from the crowd, who demanded death penalty for the 23-year-old school cleaner allegedly involved in the sexual assault on the two nursery students.

Lawyer Ujjwal Nikam, a Padma Shri awardee, who has worked on high-profile murder and terrorism cases including the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, has been appointed as the special public prosecutor in the case.

Read full article
Ujjwal Nikam Is Prosecutor In Thane Sex Assault Cases: 5 Points About Him
onmynews.com

Ujjwal Nikam Is Prosecutor In Thane Sex Assault Cases: 5 Points About Him

He played a key role in major terrorism-related cases in the country. He helped in convicting Ravinder Singh for the Kalyan bomb blast in 1991. He went on to become the public prosecutor for the Mumbai serial blasts case in 1993.
Ujjwal Nikam’s legal career also saw him take up several high-profile assignments such as the murder case of Bollywood producer and T series founder Gulshan Kumar in 1997.
He was also the prosecutor in the murder case of Pramod Mahajan, who was shot dead by his brother Pravin in April 2006 following a dispute.
He was the public prosecutor in the trial of Ajmal Kasab, the only terrorist caught in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack. He successfully argued for Kasab’s death penalty.
He was provided with Z-plus security after 2009 when he took over as prosecutor in the 26/11 case. He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2016. The BJP had fielded Mr Nikam as its Lok Sabha candidate from the Mumbai North Central constituency. He lost the seat to Congress candidate Gaikwad Varsha Eknath.

Read full article
Link copied!