Live · Global · Independent
Live Feeds
PinkVilla
Forbes
NDTV
Hindustan Times
Top Court Stays GST Notices Worth Over Rs 1 Lakh Crore Against Gaming Firms
onmynews.com

Top Court Stays GST Notices Worth Over Rs 1 Lakh Crore Against Gaming Firms

The Supreme Court on Friday stayed showcause notices issued by GST authorities worth over Rs 1 lakh crore to online gaming companies and casinos over alleged tax evasion.

A bench of Justices J B Pardiwala and R Mahadevan said the matters required hearing and all proceedings against the gaming companies should remain stayed in the meantime.

Additional solicitor general N Venkataraman, representing the GST department, said some showcause notices would come to an end in February.

The matter was posted on March 18.

GST authorities in October 2023 issued showcause notices to online gaming companies for tax evasion.

The government amended the GST law, making it mandatory for overseas online gaming companies to register in India from October 1, 2023 onward.

In August, 2023, the GST council clarified 28 per cent GST would be levied on the full value of bets placed on online gaming platforms.

Gaming companies moved various high courts against such GST demands, contesting the claims of the revenue authorities.

The top court last year allowed a petition of the Centre and transferred to itself pleas, challenging the imposition of 28 per cent GST on e-gaming firms, from nine high courts for an authoritative pronouncement.

Many online gaming firms like Games 24×7, Head Digital Works, Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports had moved the top court challenging the GST imposition.

The top court had stayed the Karnataka High Court verdict quashing the GST intimation notice to the tune of Rs 21,000 crore issued to an online gaming firm. P

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Read full article
Anger after fire evacuation alert sent in error to millions in LA
onmynews.com

Anger after fire evacuation alert sent in error to millions in LA

As many as 10 million residents of LA county may have received the text message warning them to get ready to flee. 

​As many as 10 million residents of LA county may have received the text message warning them to get ready to flee.  

Read full article
How Narendra Modi Took Risks To Reach Godhra in 2002: ‘Have To Be Above Emotions’
onmynews.com

How Narendra Modi Took Risks To Reach Godhra in 2002: ‘Have To Be Above Emotions’

“I reached Godhra and I saw the painful scenes there…so many dead bodies. I am also a human…But I was on such a post (Chief Minister), that I must be above my emotions,” said PM Narendra Modi, adding, “After serial blasts in 2008, I visited hospitals, although my security said hospitals were vulnerable too.”

Read full article
Link copied!